5 Valuable Ways to Help Your Local Homeless Pets
The Consequences of Coronavirus
While many shelters and rescues saw a boom in adoptions in response to the stay-at-home orders from COVID-19, the continuing job losses are beginning to point to a new threat for companion pets, being given up due to financial hardships. According to the ASPCA, the number of pets living in poverty could include more than 24.4 million dogs, cats, horses and other animals!
How You Can Support Local Efforts
Donations are always welcomed at local shelters and rescues to support their ongoing efforts in rescuing, caring and rehoming pets. But what if you are financially struggling? You can still help in easy and creative ways, just keep reading!
1. Volunteer Your Time and Skills
Most non-profit organizations never have enough staff. By volunteering your time, you can help:
- Feed, groom and walk the dogs and play with the kitties.
- Clean kennels.
- Transport pets.
Do you have professional skills you can donate?
Are you a dog trainer? Help train homeless dogs the basic commands to make their adoption easier.
Creative and technical skills are always in high demand!
Know your way around an office? There are a variety of things you can do to help including mailings, event planning, newsletters, blogs, data entry and more!
Offer your handyman skills for shelter repairs or new additions.
Legal advice is always priceless.
2. Organize and Maximize!
A proverb from the 1300s said “many hands make light work” and it is still true today!
- Organize your friends, family, co-workers and neighbors to help a local shelter or rescue.
- Have a (virtual) fundraiser, adoption event, bake sale or raffle!
- Collect pet supplies, toys, blankets (and more).
- Ask local businesses to support your efforts with supplies, donations or even a company match of community donations.
3. Room in Your Heart and Home?
Foster a homeless pet! Who knows, you might become a foster-fail and open TWO spots for another homeless animal!
4. Spend for Homeless Pets
When shopping for your own pet, buy an extra and donate it to a local organization! Things like cleaning supplies, dog and cat food and treats, collars, leashes and harnesses and even office supplies are priceless!
- Support organizations that give back on purchases. For example, the next time you need to purchase dog food or natural dog treats, buy from our High Hopes for Pets online store. Not only will your dog enjoy our premium, nutritious food and grain-free dog treats, but your purchase will also help us help more homeless pets!
- Thanks to pet lovers like you, we have been able to:
- Provide 80 grants to local shelters and rescues.
- Donate almost 50,000 pounds of food.
- Help over 300 dogs and cats get adopted!
5. Be Social!
From the comfort (and safety) of your couch, phone or tablet, help spread the word about pets looking for a new home. Remember, Sharing Is Caring!
No matter where you live, please remember our homeless pets and use the tips in this post to help them! Always call the shelter or rescue you want to help and see what they need first!